Today, we’re diving into the art of engineering extra hours into your day. Skeptical? I don’t blame you. After all, we’re always told that everyone has the same 24 hours in a day, right?
This is true, so the key to making more time in your day is to outsource what you can. In the early days of running a business, you might not have a lot of money to spare, but as more comes in, if you want to really boost your trajectory, you need to spend some of that to get things off your plate.
Technology and globalization have created a new era of possibilities when it comes to outsourcing tasks. You can assign someone else to handle those certain duties, freeing up your time for aspects of life that truly matter to you — like spending quality moments with your family, and investing in strategic thinking for your business.
Here are seven business or home tasks you can easily outsource to reclaim from the jaws of time:
- House Cleaning: Let’s start with the basics. There are legions of cleaning services waiting to keep your abode neat and tidy. Having someone else so this for you is a luxury worthy of investment, both from a time perspective and how it will make you feel. Nothing brings you down so fast as feeling like you’re living in the muck. Even if you only do a once per quarter deep clean, it’s worth it.
- Gardening and Yard Work: Unless getting your hands dirty in the soil is your version of therapy, consider hiring a gardening service. It will groom your landscape to perfection while giving you hours of leisure back each week. If you can’t afford one yet (or even if you can) consider converting part or all of your lawn to local wildflowers. You’ll be helping the environment and saving time to boot.
- Grocery Shopping: Thanks to online grocery delivery, procuring and preparing food is a breeze. Simply order your groceries online during your down time — during the kid’s piano lessons for example, while you’re waiting — either for pickup or to be delivered right to your doorstep, saving you trips, queuing, and kitchen hours. You can spend more time on picking up sale items too, and you’ll probably be less tempted by goodies.
- Accounting and Bill Paying: Small business owners often waste countless hours on bookkeeping. Outsourcing to freelance accountants or utilizing automated payment systems can help you regain that lost time.
- Public Transportation: If you have decent local public transportation, consider taking that rather than driving. Use the time to catch up on reading or plow through emails.
- Virtual Assistants: A VA is a boon for entrepreneurs and people with hectic schedules. They can handle email correspondence, schedule maintenance, travel planning, and anything in between.
- Digital Marketing and Social Media Management: If you run a business or are building a personal brand, social media can feel like a full-time job. By hiring a social media manager or digital marketing agency, the online world will keep turning, even when you step away.
By outsourcing these tasks, you carve out more time for your family, hobbies, relaxation — all the elements that truly enrich life.
This doesn’t mean money can buy happiness. Rather, it means money, strategically spent, can buy you time – arguably the most precious commodity in our frenetic modern lives.